Voting

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Road trips

We left Montana yesterday morning at 6:00 am and as I drove into the valley in the suburban I cried big tears. The expanse of mountain ranges spread out before me while the western sun rose just above them casting a orange-pinkish glow into the ever ligthning sky. It was the perfect farwell for my heart! I had to stop my car and pull over to just breath it in. LB asked me how I'm going to maintain or find what the mountains speak to my soul when I'm back in Chicago and I told him I'm not sure yet. Yesterday morning, I had NO clue. What is it that speaks SO loudly to my soul? And does it ever go away? I don't remember one time driving into town and getting to that spot during the 4 years I lived there when it didn't take my breath away or make me stop in my tracks. If any one has any ideas, please speak now and DO not hold your peace.

Dad, Roberto, Josh and I piled into the F150 and took off hauling a Hobie Cat sailboat behind us. I was praying for extra patience and ability to hold my tounge. Five miles out of Lakeside, we get pulled over for speeding. Dad wouldn't believe me that I thought he'd only give us a warning. I just had a feeling, and bam...no ticket. Dad kept saying wow and being super funny about his speed the rest of the trip. We made it to Polson, stopped at Mc Donalds for bfast and headed out. We drove to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho to stay the night. It's this quaint little town where they have created a bunch of rentals of rafts and pools everywhere to soak in, and float down the river with. Josh, Robert and I totally took off down the rapids, and had a blast. We all got pretty banged up, Joshy and Roberto flipped twice, but it wore us out and gave us some good excercise walking back and forth from the end of the float up to the beginning again and again. I found some solice online chatting with a friend in Illinois for hours while sitting in the front seat of the truck and the boys slept.
We left this morning for Cali at 5 am and today beat yesterday by far. We all sang together, played fun games and enjoyed most of the day together. It's different for sure in a small space with Josh and all of his unique OCD things, Robert and his being 6, and my dad who is deaf in his right ear(the one that we all talk into in the car)!!! Dad and I listened to Jimmy Buffett's Salty piece of Land book on tape and really enjoyed the story he told and the music that accompianed it. I love the men in my family and seeing the west out the window of my dad's truck was pretty rad. We are both adventurers and the story was about wanderlust. Ironic to listen to that on my way back from Montana and my choice to go back to Chicago. It makes you wonder. Every time I hear anything about someone living out a dream off somewhere random, or traveling in general...I start dreaming, wandering in my brain. The truth is that God created me to be a woman who is an adventurer and part of my spirit will always long for this. It's not a bad thing, it's something to be celebrated, as Sue would so wonderfully put it. I also celebrate that I am able to venture out to MT anytime my little heart desires (ok, not anytime, but ya know what I mean)! Thank you Gigi and Rusty and Dad.
So, now I'm back in Southern California where it's 102 out and Josh, Roberto and I are playing in and by the pool, Wii and just chilling. I will be returning home to Chicago a week from yesterday. I was going to do the Santa Barbara Tri this weekend, but didn't sign up in time, so I will be hoping to do one in Chicago or Wisconsin come the end of September. This was a HUGE bummer as I really wanted my trainer and friends and family here to be able to view me accomplish this goal. So, I think we are going surfing this weekend instead or for sure tomorrow to the beach.
As I prepare to head home I was given 2 great questions.
*What will you have to say "NO" to back home so that you can say "YES" to the things you want?
And the one written about above, "How will I find creation back in Chicago?" I look forward to pondering some more.

I was asked today also where I stood on my goals.
So, an update is in store.
perhaps tomorrow after I attend my last weight watchers meeting.

Hasta kids

No comments: